Seeking high profile people to shave, like radio personality Jay Jay Feeney
- Communication plan development
The LBF, (Leukaemia & Blood Foundation, now Leukaemia & Blood Cancer New Zealand), supports patients and their families living with leukaemia, lymphoma, myeloma and related blood conditions.
Shave for a Cure is the Leukaemia & Blood Foundation’s signature fundraiser. Each year, I was tasked with developing a communications plan that would maximise exposure and fundraising. Activities included:
- Working with a creative agency on a television commercial.
- Seeking high profile people to shave, like radio personality Jay Jay Feeney.
- Creating a dynamic and easy-to-use fundraising website.
- Attending key shave events and covering them in the LBF LifeBlood magazine.
- Drafting press releases for interesting shave stories.
- Developing a detailed media plan. With the help of the LBF nurses I identified patients willing to tell their stories and handpicked appropriate media outlets. This personal approach led to articles appearing in every major newspaper and radio and TV coverage. One highlight was a piece in the New Zealand Herald – the organization’s first in more than a decade.